Sharia Courts Operational In Britain

by Drima on September 22, 2008

I know this is old news, but still. When I first read about it, my initial reaction was anger at what I saw – and still see – as a travesty. I thought to myself “what the hell is wrong with you Brits?”

Seriously, what is wrong with you Brits? It doesn’t look to me like you’re doing enough.

ISLAMIC law has been officially adopted in Britain, with sharia courts given powers to rule on Muslim civil cases.

The government has quietly sanctioned the powers for sharia judges to rule on cases ranging from divorce and financial disputes to those involving domestic violence.

Here’s what stood out to me.

Under the act, the sharia courts are classified as arbitration tribunals. The rulings of arbitration tribunals are binding in law, provided that both parties in the dispute agree to give it the power to rule on their case.

It’s good to see that the process is voluntary, but I don’t feel comforted nonetheless. Something tells me, many Muslim women will be coerced into giving such an agreement.

… There are concerns that women who agree to go to tribunal courts are getting worse deals because Islamic law favours men.

Gee, ya think so? Oh my!

I don’t see this as a good development, mainly because I suspect too many Muslim women won’t step into these sharia courts voluntarily. Plus, it doesn’t set a good precedence. Who knows, soon you might have other religious groups demanding their own religious courts. I’m sure having different legal systems should be fun.

Yaaay to Britain where multi-culturalism is taken to an extreme sometimes.

1 Don Cox 09.22.08 at 5:44 pm

The problem here is that the Orthodox Jews have had a similar arrangement for a long time, so the argument is, if it’s OK for the Jews, why not for the Muslims. On the other hand, there used to be Church (of England) Courts and these were rightly abolished in 1858.

See here.

The same problem arises over “Faith Schools” – i.e. schools whose aim is to teach a particular religion. There have been Catholic schools, and some Church of England schools, in Britain for decades. How could the government then refuse to allow Muslim schools? The whole policy is to play nice with all the different kinds of people who are colonising Britain by the million.

My own opinion is that Faith Schools everywhere are corrupting and divisive.

2 Don Cox 09.22.08 at 5:47 pm

See also the Wikipedia entry on “Ecclesiastical Court”. You will se that Europe used to be ruled by a Christian equivalent of Sharia Law. (Well, priests of all religions are much the same.)

It was a tough struggle escaping from this tyranny.

3 Drima 09.22.08 at 7:14 pm

Well the Muslims there certainly do have a right point in asking why they can’t have them if the Jews can.

I say abolish ALL these religious courts.

Yeah, as if that’s gonna happen.

“It was a tough struggle escaping from this tyranny.”

Well thanks to political correctness and extreme multi-culturalism, it’s now slowly returning it seems.

4 Qatar Cat 09.25.08 at 8:20 am

Yeah, so much for equality and fair treatment for all. Just a question – if a person can choose to be tried by Sharia, can this same person choose to go to another religious court? And if not, wouldn’t that be a discrimination? LOL

5 Nomad 09.25.08 at 11:25 pm

sorry, we aren’t ruled by any religious law but seculars

religions are allowed as a private practice

6 Howie 12.22.08 at 4:40 pm

Yaaay to Britain where multi-culturalism is taken to an extreme sometimes.

I guess I would not mind this stuff as long as it was voluntary and NON-BINDING…Kind of a pre-court, this is how we see it kind of a deal…Otherwise…of course there is going to be abuse…

And yes…PCism…As I always say…culture is interesting…but it ain’t GOD…If Jews or Muslims don’t like liberalism of the country they have adopted…then go live in Mea Shearim in Jerusalem or go join the Taliban…LEAVE