The following is a simple SWOT analysis applied to Sudan. The S/W and O/T sections aren’t strictly within internal/external contexts.
- A huge and abundant amount of natural resources.
- Enormous expanses of fertile land.
- Diverse wild life.
- A highly-skilled and well-educated large Diaspora.
- Ancient sites and ruins dating back thousands of years to the Nubian Civilization.
- Unique geographic location.
- Afro-Arab identity.
- Underdeveloped infrastructure.
- High illiteracy rate and underdeveloped human capital.
- Extremely poor leadership.
- Rampant corruption.
- Lack of human rights.
- Lack of rule of law.
- Extreme disparity in wealth allocation.
- Ongoing identity crisis.
- Widespread tribalism.
- Victimhood mentality thanks to post-colonial hangover.
- Attracting tons of foreign investment.
- Developing vast oil reserves.
- Big biotechnology and agricultural initiatives.
- Tourism (Red Sea resorts, developing Ancient Nubian ruins, wild life parks etc.)
- Port Sudan, a stopping location for ships passing in and out of the Suez Canal.
- Economic growth that is not reliant solely on oil.
- Bridging Africa and the Arab world.
- Potential rebellions breaking out elsewhere besides Darfur.
- Possibility of war breaking out again if South decides to separate.
- China hindering democratic progress.
- More US sanctions.
- Intervention in Darfur.
- Increasing sectarianism and tribalism.
- The continuing spread of HIV/AIDS.
- Sharing our endless border with 9 countries.